December 29, 2013 | Posted in: NFL
1. The Cleveland Browns make the playoffs with a home game for the first time since 1994.
Nope. Missed big on that one.
2. The Baltimore Ravens miss the playoffs for the first time in the Joe Flacco era.
Spot on. In what amounted to a play in game for the Ravens, Flacco threw 3 interceptions. Get use to years of mediocrity in Baltimore with Flacco at the helm through 2020.
3. Geno Smith is the starting QB for the NY Jets week 5 on Monday Night Football against the Falcons.
Spot on. Smith threw 3 TDs in this game, dropping Atlanta to 1-4. Rex Ryan comes back next year, that was a garbage team he took to 8-8. Hey, that’s 2 outta 3 correct predictions.
4. Tim Tebow has an All-Pro Season at TE.
Nope. He didn’t even play in the NFL this year. Guy must not be able to catch or run routes.
5. Aaron Dobson, Jake Ballard, Danny Amendola, Michael Jenkins, and LaVelle Hawkins will be household names at the end of the season.
Aaron Dobson started some weeks on fantasy football teams, Amendola was hurt most of the year, and none of these other guys emerged. The real star was Julian Edelman who turned in a 100 catch, 1000 yard season. Hard to believe New England went 12-4 with what they lost on the defensive side of the ball, namely Vince Wolfork and Jared Mayo, let alone the turnover at the receiver position. How far does this team go in the playoffs?
6. Trent Richardson leads the NFL in rushing.
Nope. And, he got traded. There’s a lot of people who missed on this guy, including Indianapolis.
7. The Cincinnati Bengals miss the playoffs.
Nope. They went 11-5 and won the division and host San Diego in the first week of NFL playoff action. Even if you win this game Bungles, you’re not winning in New England.
8. The Seattle Seahawks miss the playoffs.
Nope. They went 13-3, are the #1 seed in the NFC and they’re going to be very difficult to beat in Seattle. They’re the most complete team on both sides of the ball.
9. Colin Kaepernick rushes for 1,037 yards.
Nope. Not even close. He rushed for 5oo yards.
10. LaMichael James leads the 49ers in rushing.
Nope. James was hurt most of the year. And Frank Gore is an ageless wonder. He’s 30, it seems like he’s been running in San Francisco forever and a day.
11. CJ2K returns to form.
Debatable. Close to 1500 yards from scrimmage, 10 TDs.
12. The Denver Broncos receiving corps breaks all kinds of team receiving records.
Spot on. Manning set the record for TD passes in a season, passing yards in a season, and the Broncos are the first team to score 600 points during the regular season.
13. Matt Cassell leads the Vikings to the playoffs.
Nope. Although Cassell was the most viable of the Viking QBs this season. Blake Bortles, Brett Hundley, Johnny Manziel, Derek Carr, whichever of you doesn’t get picked by Cleveland, you’re heading to Minnesota!
14. NFC Playoff Teams. San Francisco, Green Bay, Atlanta, New York Giants, New Orleans, Minnesota.
I correctly picked 3 outta 6. 50%. Seattle, Carolina (congratulations Ron Rivera, you’re not getting fired), and Dallas/Philadelphia were the ones I missed.
15. AFC Playoff Teams. New England, Cleveland, Houston, Denver, Pittsburgh, Tennessee.
I correctly picked 2 outta 6, 33%. Indianapolis, San Diego, Kansas City, Cincinnati were the ones I missed. This is why the NFL is impossible to prognosticate, Houston finished 2-14 and has the #1 pick in the NFL draft. Who saw that coming?
16. Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, RGIII win fantasy football leagues for owners who recognize this the new NFL.
The read option was a flavor of the month. Peyton Manning won fantasy football leagues this year.
17. Larry Fitzgerald returns to All Pro Form.
Nope. 80 catch, just shy of a 1,000 yard season, 10 TDs.
18. Stevie Johnson continues to be a fantasy football stalwart.
Nope. He was hurt most of the year.
19. The healthy St. Louis Rams RB produces more yards from scrimmage than Steven Jackson.
Spot on. Steven Jackson, 640 yards from scrimmage. Zac Stacy, 1000 yards rushing season and 1300 yards from scrimmage.
20. Maybe 10 people in the world read these predictions.
So, perhaps 5 of my 20 predictions were correct.