April 20, 2018 | Posted in: Sports
Currently, 6 days before the draft, as the roster is currently constructed:
- Who’s playing LT? Shon Coleman? Spencer Drango? Chris Hubbard?
- Who are the 3 starting corners? Boddie Calhoun, Damarious Randall, and EJ Gaines? Travis Carrie?
- Who’s playing on the interior defensive line besides Ogunjobi? Caleb Brantley? Trevon Coleman?
- Who’s playing Free Safety? Randall? He was drafted as a safety, making Howard Wilson next man up at CB
- What happens if Josh Gordon has trouble or Coleman gets hurt (again) Ricardo Louis? Rashard Higgins?
- Pretty sure Louis and Higgins had every chance in 2017
- How many “edge” defenders in the front 4 of a 4-3 base defense are on the field for a given play?
- a rotation of Myles Garrett, Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Nassib, and Chris Smith
These are your team needs. You’re taking a QB who isn’t going to play this season #1 overall. And apparently a RB or an “Edge” defender with the #4 overall because trading down and acquiring draft picks is too analytical for a guy like John Dorsey and it makes perfect sense to address Need 6 with the #4 pick overall. Or draft a RB at pick 4 overall and be paying $45MM+ to the RB position over the next 3 seasons after signing Carlos Hyde in the off season.
Three selections in the second round to address the remaining 5 needs. The prognosticators like OT, CB, and WR, maybe John Dorsey and his crew pick pro bowlers with every second round pick.
After the initial 5 selections, you’re going 4th round and beyond to find impact starters on the defensive interior and secondary because you’re drafting under a flawed, ancient, vague principle … drafting the best player available … what? Cleveland needs corners, a safety, defensive interior and a legitimate LT prospect (none of this Shon might be able to play it or maybe Hubbard can play LT and Stephenson can play RT) way more than they need a RB or an “edge” defender. Do you, as a Browns fan, recognize these names as your new Tackles on the right and left side of the offensive line? Joe Thomas retired and I haven’t heard one legitimate conversation on how the Browns are going to address the loss in the 2018 NFL Draft.